! = recommended
* = all-ages
Don't see your show on our calendar? Contact our calendar editor.
So remember that Tullycraft covers compilation we mentioned a while back, Wish I'd Kept A Scrapbook? Well, it's done, and will be available for purchase next month. And, you can stream the whole thing on their website! I've been swooning over this all day. (Conflict of interest note: my band, iji, is on this comp, but even if we weren't I'd still be school-girl-giddy about this amazing collection of bands.) This compilation features so many of my crush bands, like Gold-Bears, Fishboy, the Smittens, Bunnygrunt, and Math and Physics Club.
The folks at Unchikun Records have been nice enough to share a few MP3s, so for your listening pleasure, check out two of my favorite songs from the comp, Hot Lava covering "Pink Lemonade" and the Medusa Snare covering "Every Little Thing".
- Galactic Hereos make "Pop Songs Your Boyfriend's Too Stupid To Know About" (in my opinon, one of the most perfect pop songs ever) perfect clean and sparkly indie pop without a hint of snark.
- Both Darren Hanlon and Rose Melberg (in the greatest indie pop duet of this century) and the Besties cover "Our Days In Kansas" (pretty much impossible to choose a favorite), and they each take wonderful ownership of the song. It's also the last Besties track recorded before they broke up.
- The Medusa Snare (members of Manhattan Love Suicides) make "Every Little Thing" noisy and shrill and wonderful (download it above!).
- The Smittens make "Sweet" sound sexier than it really has any right to be.
- The Poison Control Center turn "The Last Song" into a dub jam and it doesn't suck.
- The Special Places (Corianton and Jenny from Tullycaft) have been playing their cover of "Fall 4 U" live for a while, so it's nice to have a recorded version of it. It might even be cuter than the original!
As in the best covers compilations, no one just does a straight cover. Everyone professes their love for the ever amazing Tullycraft in their own special way. Listen for yourself!